03 February, 2014

Starting Somewhere

Well, here I am. After 19 years spent sheltering in the comfort zone of education, I’ve inelegantly fallen into the real world. I began this journey in the tiny province of Prince Edward Island, and I have come out the other side with my Masters of Science degree in the huge province of Ontario. 
Yay! Wait, no, take me back! TAKE ME BACK.

Fact of life: I need an income, and I want to have a career, which means jobs and stuff. I can’t cling to school any longer. Fortunately, I’ve come to realize that needing jobs and stuff means I have to learn new skill sets and adapt to new situations. If you squint, it looks like I’m still a student after all. Success.

This blog will serve up anecdotes, stress-rants, opinion pieces, and my personal experiences as I bumble my way through life. This will include, but of course will not be limited to: manuscript publishing, job searches, field work, research experiences, and attempts to ultimately have a career in science communication and outreach. I hope that some other drifting ex-graduate-students will stumble in and take heart that while none of us know what the heck we’re doing, we’re definitely not alone. We all have to start somewhere. 

No comments:

Post a Comment